Legal consultants and lawyers are often seen to cross each other duties. When in reality both of them have different roles to offer.
The method of working is similar in both professions as both of them go through research and prepare legal documents & cases for their clients. But there is some difference between a legal consultant vs lawyer that can’t go unnoticed.
The vital difference between legal consultants vs lawyers is the fact that; a legal consultant works as an advisor and makes sure that their client is acting within the legal boundaries. Whereas, lawyers besides guiding or advising can also represent their clients before the judge. Not just that, but they can advocate for their clients as well.
|Someone who provides legal advice but doesn't represent in court.||Someone who has passed the neccessary examination & has the legal status to represent others in court.|
|The word “legal” originated from the old English language and it means authority. And the word “consultant” is a French word that means “to take the advice of.”||The word lawyer originated from “Middle English Lawe (Law).” And it means a person who performs law.|
Differences in Duties
Primarily consultant lawyer and legal consultancy work are the same but still, there are quite differences when it comes to their duties and responsibilities.
Legal Consultant Duties
- Apart from giving advice, conducting all the legal analysis and researching lawful matters is also a part of the legal consultant job description.
- They come with the solution of resolving the disputes between the opposing parties as well.
- Checking on the implementation of legal documentation.
- Drafting legal memoranda and all the important documents.
- The main work of the consultant lawyer is also to provide consultancy regarding the respective issue to the client.
- They stay updated on the witness’s statement to have better exposure to the case.
- A consulting lawyer also attends court hearings and defends their client in the court before a judge as well.
- They are also well aware of the changes and variations in the law and their rules as well.
Legal Consultant vs Lawyer Salary Differences
Although legal consultant vs. lawyer sounds like the same profession. But due to the difference in licenses, the salaries are legal consultant vs. lawyers differs.
- The salary of legal consultants can be $137,500 highest and $22,000 lowest per year.
- Keep in mind that the lawyers are fifth highest paid profession in the US. The annual salary of the lawyer is a lump sum of up to $130,490.
What’s the difference between a legal consultant and a lawyer?
The difference between legal consultants vs. lawyers in simple words is a lawyer has a license to represent their clients in the court while a legal consultant doesn’t.
What does a legal consultant do?
They provide legal advice to their clients but can’t represent them. They may be educated in law but usually have not passed the bar examination
Is passing the bar exam compulsory for a legal consultant?
It is not compulsory but if they want a license then it is mandatory. This should only be considered if they want to represent clients in courts.
What is consultation in law?
Before finalizing your attorney, you take legal advice from a legal consultant that whether you should hire him for your respective case or not.
- Is Crypto Legal in the UK? [UPDATED 2023] - September 4, 2023
- Are ferrets illegal in New York? [ANSWERED 2023] - September 4, 2023
- Is Track Mode Illegal in California? [Updated 2023] - September 4, 2023